Monday, January 17, 2011

The Beatles!

On my Facebook I asked my friends to post their favourite song by The Beatles. I said I'd post the first ten replies, and they came in a flood. Although it was a fairly generic question, it's food for thought. My opinion seems to change on a daily basis, but I've always loved Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (and the album it came from, "The White Album"). I've decided to post this version, a reggae take by Ken Lazarus. It's a bit cheesy, but fun nonetheless - and it works in more ways than it doesn't.

On a useless knowledge note, the tag line in the original, "ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra," was something Nigerian conga player Jimmy Scott-Emuakopor used to say. He was a friend of Paul's.

I pulled Lazarus' number from the album in the image, which is worth buying, although it has its cornball moments.

My first ten friends that responded had an assorted bag of favourites and there wasn't one repeat. They are as follows, with names withheld for security reasons:
"Blackbird," "Something," "Yer Blues," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "The Word," "If I Fell," "Love Me Do," "Yellow Submarine," "Wild Honey Pie" and "Hide Your Love Away."

Link to the Ken Lazarus version below:
http://rapidshare.com/files/443021066/16_Ob_La_Di_Ob_La_Da.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment